Certification Authorities and other Certification Service Providers
This web page collects together sources of information on Certification Authorities (CAs) and other Certification Service Providers (CSPs) in Europe. It includes sources of information on:
- CAs issuing Qualified Certificates in accordance with ETSI TS 101 456 and meeting requirements of Directive 1999/93 and
- CAs issuing Extended Validation Certificates (EV Certs) in accordance with ETSI TS 102 042 and meeting requirements of the CA/Browser Forum EV SSL Certificate Guidelines (http://www.cabforum.org/documents.html)
- Other CSPs which are registered through national accreditation or supervision schemes in European member states.
Whilst ETSI endeavours to keep this information up to date, ETSI does not guarantee the appropriateness or usefulness of the information provided in the original source and/or website included herewith nor whether this information is up to date.
2. Trusted Lists and Other Nationally Maintained Information
EU Member States and other European nations generally maintain lists of CAs and other CSPs in one or more nationally maintained registers.
The Commission decision 2009/767/EC of 16 October 2009, in the framework of the Services Directive(2006/123/EC), requires that Member States establish and publish by 28 December 2009 the so-called 'trusted lists' of certification-service providers issuing qualified certificates in accordance with the e-Signature Directive (1999/93/EC). These trusted lists are issued in compliance with the Decision 2009/767/EC, as amended by Comm. Dec. 2010/425/EU, that adopts ETSI 102 231 v3.1.2. The top level list referencing the national lists is available:
- In human readable format (PDF):https://ec.europa.eu/information_society/policy/esignature/trusted-list/tl-hr.pdf
- In format suitable for automated (machine) processing (XML):https://ec.europa.eu/information_society/policy/esignature/trusted-list/tl-mp.xml
Further information on trusted lists is available at:http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/policy/esignature/eu_legislation/trusted_lists/index_en.htm
Specific information on each EU Member State's trusted list is available at:
where ?? is replaced by the two letter country code.
For EU countries the information on CAs issuing qualified certificates are held in Trusted Lists (see 2 above).
4. Non QC including EV
The following countries have been identified as having recognised CAs issuing Extended Validation (EV) Certificates, or CSPs other than those issuing qualified certificates, conforming to TS 102 042:
The columns for the above two tables contain the following information:
Country: The country in which the scheme operates
Source of information: Web site where information on CAs that are audited under the given national scheme can be found.
Type: The type of body operating the scheme
- TSL: Governmental body or scheme operator
- National bodies recognised by the government, i.e. the German TÜV IT
- Others: ETSI members, auditing companies, freelancers, etc.
EV: Includes CAs issuing certificates in accordance with CAB Forum Guidelines